How horrid it is to awake
At four am during spring break
The week’s just begun
But I think it’s fun
To get up right on time and not flake

On my dearest of friends who requires
Assistance with all she aspires.
Her plan to go flying
Includes me driving
But I do it, cause she, I admire.

A wonderful chat on the way
“I’ll miss you so much,” we both say,
A hug and a prayer
Then out of the air,
A wonderful start to my day.

An old country tune fills the air
As I, with tired eyes, only stare
At the road up ahead
While in my head
I’m filled with such wonder and care

For God up above who just listens,
As my sleep deprived eyes slightly glisten
Has given me strength
With such depth and such length,
A child of his, am I christened.

The hour’s too early to think
So after my praying I just blink
Away all my thoughts
And rub out my knotts
As I make it back with ne’er a chink.

Alas I have misplaced my key
But with shocking a-gil-it-y
A guard comes a-skipping
Surprising - the skipping -
But he lets me in, sans a plea.

So happy am I to be warm
And the sheets, they work just like a charm
At bringing me sleep
So my dreams they will keep
To the actual dawn of the morn.

Now four, plus some more, makes eleven
Each hour a blessing from heaven.
Now leaping awake
My arm almost breaks
By the way, the “some more” equals seven ;)

An afternoon spent with dear Charlotte
Deep conversations allotted
To time in the car
While once in the store
She just studies, while I give a sho-ot.

I’m afraid that my skills come up short
When rhymes I am trying to contort
So I can make sense
Before we commence
To the store so that meals, we assort.

And now I feel ever so silly
And the day grows more and more chilly
So now it is time
To collect all my dimes

And bid all of you fond farewell.  

P.S. We plan on watching Hugo, and the week is shaping up to be very lovely indeed. Also, I apologize for the quality of this poem. Limericks are especially hard for me to do. Plus, poetry is hard to write when I'm happy. It flows much more easily when I'm depressed. Here's an example of a better limerick in my opinion. :) 

Lizzy's Puppy

Monday's Limerick

Posted on

Monday, March 5, 2012