Sunsets. Almost every girl I've ever talked to, whether they are romantics or not, are willing to admit that there is something special about watching a sunset with your loved one.

Walking on the beach as the sun slips over the horizon, the last bits of light playing and dancing on the waves that quietly lap at the shore line. The wind gathers up her hair as they walk in silence, hand in hand. Neither one of them say a word, and yet nothing needs to be said. Everything is seen in the way they look at each other. 
However, while I love sunsets, they can't compare to the beauty of a sunrise. Some might say that they are pretty much the same thing, but it isn't a sunrises outward appearance that I find so appealing. Rather it's the application that a rising sun gives. A setting sun signifies an end. Those last bits of light signify the last bits of hope, before a bit of your world is encased in darkness. A sunset is an end. However, a rising sun signifies a beginning. Darkness covers all, but just when you think that the end has been set in stone, suddenly a burst light springs over the hilltops. Your breath catches as you watch as the sun stretches, yawns, then shines it's face on the world, filling it with light and hope. A sunset closes, ends. A sunrise begins.

Then of course there's that moment in time, the snap shot of a sun peaking over the horizon. Is it setting? Is it rising? Is this an end? Is this a beginning? You can't tell. Perhaps it's the beginning of an end. The last door closing. But maybe, (and you pray and hope that it's the case) just maybe, it's a fresh start. A new beginning. A sunrise.

"Joy comes in the morning"

SUMMARY: 
- My dress has been fitted. The mask has been selected and customized. I'm ready for a ball. 
- Last night I slept. I didn't think I would. In all honesty I didn't want to, but I did, and it helped more than I could have imagined.
- This morning I picked up my dress, and watched movies. I was exhausted and to be able to just relax on the couch felt so incredible. I watched Penelope and a cute little flick called Someone Like You. The movie was refreshingly clean for the most part, and the main character reminded me a lot of me. 
- At five I slipped into my thick coat and headed over to Anne's. Once I got there the six girls (Ely, Heidi, Stephanie, Anne, Emily, and I) all piled into Anne's car, and headed to the Ashland "Ice Skating in the Park." Once there we met up with Christian, Elizabeth, John, and Brittany. We skated for a little less than two hours. It was so beautiful and refreshing. I made a complete fool of myself, but it was wonderful to be out in the cool air. About 40 minutes into the skating it started to rain. It wasn't quite as good as snow, but it made the rink sparkle, and the christmas lights appear magical. On the not so magical side we all got soaked to the bone. :) We drove home and after warming up and eating an assortment of crackers, apples that were red on the inside (who knew?) and pizza, we gathered in the family room and did a white elephant gift exchange. One of gifts was an oversized hideous yellow sponge bob shirt. The girls have decided to trade off. The rule: We all have to wear it in a public place and take a picture. :) I then picked up Daniel, and we went home. 

Made a fool of myself. :)


- Our family is really getting into the TV show Psyche. We watched a couple episodes, and I had to pry myself away in order to write this blog post. 
- The next couple of days are going to be hectic. Prayers appreciated.

It's all about Perspective. 

My mom got in from working at about 2:30ish. We talked about Daniel, and Dad and everything that has been going on. I complained loudly 
"What a christmas this is turning out to be! Dad's back! Now Daniel tore his meniscus and might need surgery! There's all the stuff going on with me! I'm headed off to college! ERRRGGGHHH"
Mom gently corrected me telling me that I needed to, like my wise father, put things in perspective. I can't properly convey the wisdom and calmness with which she spoke, I can only communicate the effect it had on me.

I realized a lot of my life is spent worrying over very silly petty things. Will I have enough money to go to college? Will I be able to stay well? Will anyone ever love me? What if I marry the wrong guy? What if I'm going to the wrong college? The last few months have been spent in constant worry. I am not trusting God at all. I've always known that this has been an issue. In essence everyone who gets worried to the point of obsession is lacking God's trust but it wasn't until today that it hit me just how far I have fallen in trusting Him. All these things that I want to hold to, and worry about, and stress over; they are all part of His plan. His glorious, unknowable plan for my life. I can only see my life and the world through my two very very very very tiny little eyes. I need to put things in perspective. This life is not about me, but every time I worry and I try to focus on what I need and what I want and what I will make me happy, I lose sight of the true joy and the true happiness that I can only find through Jesus Christ.

Sorry, that thought process was a bit jumbled and was really hard to communicate, but it needed saying.

Joy comes in the morning. A promise I hold fast to. 
Side note:  21 days till college (AH!)

I love you all.
Always Praying.
Always Hoping. 
In God we trust. 

Joy, Perspective, and Sunsets

Posted on

Friday, December 17, 2010

2 Comments
Meghan McCandless said...

PSYCH IS LIKE MY FAVORITE TV SHOW I LOVE IT SO MUCH AND AM COMPLETELY OBSESSED.

Thought you should know. :]

Isabelle Nicole said...

Dude!!!! We should totally watch it when you come sleep over!!! Yes? Yes! Great job btw. :) Love you dear. :)