Squeals of delight cut through the evening air, as a small boat was discovered in the backyard. “Let’s go out on the water,” seemed to fly from every mouth, until no one could distinguish their own voice from another. A flurry of movement as the boat was emptied of the leaves it had gathered during it’s period of neglect. It was lovingly brushed off and pushed into the water as the friends crowded around, anxious to start the adventure. The sun had long ago slipped into it’s dark bed, leaving the moon to temporarily watch over the earth. Finally, with the small boat out on the water, Alissa and I with great care slipped into the front of the boat. Mike, Katelynn, Brittany, and Jesse quickly followed as Liss and I clung to each other, for fear of tipping into the freezing darkness. A push. Another. Another. And a final one, and off they were into the watery mysteries. Two of them paddled out into the expanse. As I starred out over the water, my eyes dancing from lily pad to lily pad, my fingers dipping in and out of the passing water, causing ripples to embrace the side of the boat, my mind wandered far. I lifted my eyes to the glorious sky, as the stars reflected in my eyes, and the moon played tricks with the trees and the shadows that crept along the water. This was my Walden.



Nine friends squeezed into the dimly lit kitchen, as the warm smell of chocolate and soft sounds of simmering water drifted around them. They exchanged pleasantries, laughed softly, and sang quietly along as Jesse expertly danced his fingers across the strings of his guitar. The tall one sat against the wall of the small island, and smiled cheekily at the antics of the others. Another was crouched under a table, much to the amusement of those around him. Another girl sat perched beside Jesse, mug cupped gently in both hands as she sipped delicately at its contents as if each drop was an ounce of life, and should not be wasted. Lastly, I sat in my chair, let my head fall softly back, took in a breath, and let the energy, the stress, the thoughts, the desires, the life that I had lived during the last few days drip from my mind, sink into my soul, and float away as I was filled with a quiet peace. 



In which I'm finally free :)

Posted on

Friday, November 4, 2011