Slamming the car door behind me, I didn't wait to hear whether my friend was wishing me goodbye, or simply driving away. Though out in the rain for only a moment, the tiny bullets were already flying at my face, as the wind whipped at the edge of my coat. As I ran I pulled my coat tightly around me but to no avail. The wind mercilessly knocked me about till I half ran half stumbled into the warmth of the little Coffee shop. I took a breath to collect myself, and try to fix the curly, frazzled mess that was my hair. I quickly made my way up to the counter and ordered a new favorite of mine, a hazelnut chai tea.

After my order had been made, and pleasantries had been exchanged with the barista, I managed to find my way to a snug corner, complete with comfy couch and lots of pillows. I arranged the lecture I was about to read neatly on my lap, and snuggled back into the pillows, trying to hide in as much warmth as I could. Before I had even read the first sentence, the barista came over and handed me the small cup of happiness.

It was then determined that the greater necessity at that very moment was inspecting the contents of the cup to make sure they were satisfactory, my lecture could wait another minute. As I lifted the top I nearly died (pardon the drama ;) :)). There was the most beautiful layer of foam I had ever seen. Lifting the cup to my lips, I was delighted to find its contents twice as delicious as it smelled and looked. The warmth found its way straight to my soul where it stayed, happily, for quite some time.

Now, completely content, I put in my headphones and let the soft sounds of celtic music block out the quiet murmurings and mutterings of the other customers. Immersed in warmth and happiness I set about reading my lecture. I do believe all reading should be done in such a fashion.





In which I elaborate on the pleasures of good chai and reading

Posted on

Tuesday, September 6, 2011